By Dr. Eduardo Mayorga
Today we will review one way you can stimulate deeper learning in your trainees. It is based on using the flipped classroom strategy and mind maps.
If you are not familiar with the flipped classroom concept you may want to read this article we are linking to.
Steps of the process
- Give your learners a link to a presentation or paper they must watch or read
- Ask them to create one branch in the mind map for every concept the presentation or paper presents.
- Instead of using in the title of the branch the name of the concept, have them present the concept as a question
- If the concept leads to other concepts, have them develop child branches in the same manner.
- Have them share their mindmap with you and give them feedback
Building the concept map and its questions will make them incorporate and process the new knowledge. Having them build the questions will make them elaborate further on them and contribute to moving and storing this knowledge in their long term memory.
Go to the example below to see a mind map developed after watching a lecture on optic disk examination
I have no financial interest in any of them